SORTING OUT LOW BACK PAIN WITH SPECIAL EMPHASIS ON SACROILIAC JOINT INJURIES
Adjunct Associate Professor Jeni Saunders MBBS Ph.D. FACSEP CCPU
ADELAIDE Wednesday November 9th (prequel to ACSEP conference: Please register via ACSEP conference registrations)
Workshop 1: Sorting out back pain: everything you have been afraid of explained (morning)
Recognition, Diagnosis and Treatment of Sacro-Iliac Joint Incompetence/Pelvic Girdle Pain, Discal and facet sources
· Common presentations of back conditions and the anatomy
· Sorting out the possible pian drivers
· Functional anatomy of the SIJ, lumbar spine and hip
· Clinical Diagnosis including best imaging techniques
· Initial treatment including bracing/taping/ specialised physical therapy/ exercise therapy, what and when
· Injection therapies: which injections, when, how and why.
· When to consider surgery and types of surgery
· After injection, following -up after specialised physiotherapy, after injections and return to sport considerations
Questions and Course Wrap up: This course aims to cover the basics for physicians, surgeons and physiotherapists who deal with back pain and leg pain.
Workshop 2: Masterclass in Sacroiliac joint mechanical injury, its consequences and co-existent pathologies. (afternoon)
Pre-requisite: must have completed the introductory course in person OR online
· We will review the patho-anatomy of the SIJ, pubis and hip
· We will look at the accommodative strategies that are employed with SIJ Lumbar spine and hip mechanical issues
· We will then discuss the strategies required to unwind these and treat the underlying issue.
· Muscle enthesopathies around the pelvis
· Neural compression around the pelvis as a secondary consequence of the altered muscle function
· The SIJ Influence on rib ring dysfunction: is it the SIJ driving the rib? Or the rib ring dysfunction driving the SIJ?
· Co-existent lumbar spine and hip issues
· Detailed discussion regarding the muscular components of lumbo-pelvic stability.
· When is it intra-pelvic?
· Treating combinations of Lumbar spine, SIJ and hip
Questions and course Wrap up
To register follow this link: https://consol.eventsair.com/acsep-2022/registration-site/Site/Register
You can register just for the workshops not the conference.